Teaching Pigs to Sing

On May 5, 2009, in Popular, by Kenton Ross
pig
“Never try to teach a pig to sing… It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
- Lazarus Long

When I hear shop owners complain that their customers aren’t paying for anything but critical repairs because they’re losing their jobs, unemployment is at 8% and the economy sucks, my first thought is – what about the other 92%?

If we are challenged by less than perfectly prosperous customers, we would save ourselves many frustrating pig singing lessons if we ask, “How do I find, attract and connect with people that are prospering in spite of this economy – people that I like and would enjoy having as life-long clients?”

If you are the owner of any small business, your primary role in the business is to formulate a strategic marketing plan and constantly focus on your core activities to carry out that plan. The most common mistake small business owners make is becoming distracted by the daily details of running the business at the expense of the core marketing activities.

Start getting very clear on two things: Who is my ideal client and how do I contact, attract and retain them in my business. This is an ongoing activity that should always be the primary focus of the business owner. The better client you attract, the easier running your business will be until it actually gets to be fun again.

Tagged with:  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!